Healthy Lunch and Healthy Snacks
Is healthy eating on your list for the New Year? Of course it is! Second only to eating a healthy breakfast, packing healthy lunches and snacks for work is essential for you to stay on track with healthy eating and to fuel the active part of the day. Packing your own lunch and snacks helps you stay in control of your food for the day. It is also less expensive then eating out.
Healthy lunches should include a selection from at least 3 of the 4 major food groups below:
1. Grains and Breads
2. Fruits and Vegetables
3. Milk and Diary
Think of snacks as mini meals. Healthy snacks should include a selection from each of groups above but mainly from number 2 above: Fruits and Vegetables. We need to eat more vegetables and fruit in general. By including them in all meals and snacks we will get the recommended servings for the day.
Here is a lunch packing “To Do” list:
1. Get organized for lunch making. Have a plan to purchase groceries, and pack lunches.
2. Make sure you have good gear like an insulated lunch bag, ice packs and a Thermos.
3. Have a variety of easy to eat vegetables and fruit in your fridge and ready to pack.
4. Purchase a variety of whole grain breads, munchable cereal, and crackers.
5. Use low fat spreads and dips to add interesting flavours.
6. Use a selection of lean meat and alternatives – meat, chicken, hummus, hardboiled eggs, and canned fish.
7. Add lower fat milk, fortified soy beverage, yogurt or cheese to your lunch or snacks.
8. If you are cooking a big dinner, cook enough for leftovers for your next day’s lunch.